Looking Stylish In Gingham
Gingham style is where it’s at, these days! Of course, this was to be predicted with all the gingham print that was making it down the Spring 2017 runway a few months back. From spring to summer, the checkered print has stuck around, and if you haven’t already, it’s time to incorporate some gingham print into your wardrobe. Granted, it is a bit of a tricky print, which is why we’ve put together a few tips below, so you, too, can look stylish in gingham print.
Dress It Up
Whether you want to wear the checkered print to work or rock it during a girl’s night out, here are a few different ways to go about doing so.
- Give gingham an edgy flair with a moto-style jacket. Go for a fitted, but breathable, black, white, and gray gingham dress and slip on your favorite black pleather jacket; it will bring out the black in the pattern, so you don’t have to worry about looking too checker-ish. Depending on your personal style, you can either wear a pair of simple black flats or take things up a notch with a pair of urban style booties.
- If you were eyeing that gingham print pencil skirt at the department store but didn’t go home with it for fear of not knowing how to wear it, this is your sign to go back to the store and get it! Pair a gingham style skirt with a solid black or gray top—either a loose high-low top or a standard solid colored tee, both would look great. Play the outfit up as much as you’d like with anything from heals to flats, and bangles to a wristwatch.
- Looking for something more colorful? Try a red-white-blue checkered button up (look for one with a print that’s on the smaller side). Tuck the hem into a pair of black slacks, and slip into some black pumps. This outfit is both on trend and seasonal—you’ll be the best-dressed in the office!
Dress It Down
Sometimes trying out a new trend is easier when there’s no pressure of dressing up. These outfits are perfect for a busy day of errands or relaxed morning at the farmer’s market.
- Show off your legs with some gingham print shorts. The idea might sound stand offish at first, but give it a chance! Get yourself a pair of black-gray-white or navy-blue-white gingham shorts that are fitted, but not skin-tight. Wear the shorts with a preppy ¾ sleeve top (think modest hemline, forgiving material), and nude flats.
- If you live in jeans and tees, there’s still no excuse not to give gingham print a try! Grab your favorite pair of non-distressed, medium washed skinny jeans, and pair it with a colorful gingham print top (we think a green tone or blue tone look best). Keep the shoes simple, such as a pair of nude flats or white tennis shoes. By playing down the pants and shoes, the gingham won’t seem overly loud or too played-up.